Wednesday 12 June 2013

A minor crisis - The Ferry trip from Port Angeles, Washingto State to Victoria Island , British Columbia, Canada

We have our first minor crisis. As you know Bob has a chronic lung condition. He effectively has very low functioning lungs and needs to avoid very high elevations and fumes. As we approach the ferry I ask him on the Iphone video camera how he has enjoyed the first week - his enthusiasm is not overpowering - I was unaware how worried he was about he upcoming ferry crossing and I bladder on about how much I am enjoying the trip unaware of Bob's trepidation.




Bob takes up the story

"We have a couple of choices of routes up to Port Angles where the ferry to Victoria leaves.   We take the westernmost that runs through the Olympic Peninsula and National Park.  Lots of trees and a little bit of seascape.  But nice.  We are now encountering the mountains, which will continue to dominate this section of the USA and Canadian coasts as we move north.  I enjoy the ride but am becoming increasingly concerned about the upcoming ferry.  When I rode back to Ontario to visit my friends I took a ferry on the return trip.  The boat only runs in the summers and basically crosses the middle of Lake Michigan from Muskegon MI to Milwaukee WI.  This takes the ferry out into some areas that can have some large waves.  This means that the bikes have to be tied down in order not to fall over when the ship rolls.  There are tie down straps that connect into rings built into the deck and then cinched tight. 



BIKES BELOW DECK


I immediately realize once I have the bike into right location in the ferry’s vehicle deck that I am in trouble.  The exhaust gases from the other vehicles quickly builds up in the enclosed space below decks and I cannot breathe.  Before I am overcome, I give $20 to a deckhand and ask him to tie the bike down as I run for the stairs.  Fortunately these are enclosed and set off from the fumes by a fire door.  Once I am in the stairwell I am able to catch a breath and slowly climb the stairs to the passenger decks.  I am worried about being able to get the bike off but meet a fellow biker and his wife who agree to go down shortly before we dock and untie my bike so I can just go down and quickly ride it off. 

The whole experience was very unpleasant and I was resolved never again to take another ferry.  Facts sometime intrude on our intentions however, and there is simply no way to really see the British Columbia coast without a ferry or five.

My fears are a bit reduced by a conversation we had with some bikers from BC who told us that we would be the first on the boat and the first off.  I hope that will allow me to avoid the worst of the fumes and Eugene has agreed to take care of any tie down that is required so all I have to do is ride the bike on and get the Hell out of there.  So much for hopes. We are lined up to be the final vehicles put on and the stairs are open to the deck and run two stories high along the inside of the deck.  I park the bike and immediately take to the stairs but know I am in trouble.  Before I am halfway, I am fighting for breath and unable to control my gasping.  I take a couple of shots from the rescue inhaler but its not enough to get me back to normal so I have to fight up the remaining steps and fall on the deck in real trouble.  At least the air is fresh here and a breeze is blowing the ships exhaust in the opposite direction.  I make a mess of myself but slowly get things back under control. " 

Bob explains what happened


Well I survived but realize that there is no way I am going to be able to get the bike off without another emergency.  Fortunately there is a biker from Sothern California who agrees to take mine off and then come back for his own.  This means I can exit with the walk-on passengers and avoid the vehicle deck completely. 


I have my usual difficulty with Canadian Immigration.  Since I had Canadian residency permit at one time the border officers are always concerned that I may be going to remain in Canada rather than just visiting.



This is the "good samaritan" who drove Bob's bike off the ferry. I couldn't do it as the bike is too tall for me to get it stable on the ground. This good guy was going camping in Canada and had planned to take a hand gun to protect himself from the bears. But when he found out he would not be allowed to bring the gun into Canada he posted it home. He still had a large box of ammo which he tried to give to US custom officials when he was leaving. They refused to take the box. I advised him to dump the ammo overboard in the deep sea. However, he chose to declare it on the Canadian side and hope they would just confiscate it. After driving Bob's bike ashore he collected his own and lined up behind me at immigration -they took him away! I hope he did not get into trouble as he did what he thought was the right thing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment